Friday, May 29, 2015

Major catching up - Retirement and Party - Thanks!

[May 5,8, 2015] Tuesday, Friday

After a 34+ year career with Intermountain Healthcare, I finally pulled the plug and retired. I’ve had many, many experiences that have helped me in so many ways, but it has really been the people and the associations there that have been the most significant.

I couldn’t begin to name all the people who have been so important and meaningful to me over the years, starting in the Respiratory Care Department at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, all the way through my stint in the Quality Improvement Department there, to the Enterprise Data Warehouse team at Lake Park, Central Offices, and finally at IMED in Murray. I’ve been able to meet and work with people on so many other teams as well, and will always fondly remember those interactions.

On May 5th, the EDW team had a “going away” party for me, along with a number of other folks with whom I had worked closely over the years. I hope I didn’t offend anyone by failing to invite them, but I didn’t want my going away to be made into a big deal. The important work left to be done can very ably be done by all those who are currently working there, and I don’t want to detract in any way from the wonderful team and folks who continue to work hard to improve healthcare. I feel fortunate to have been able to be a small part of that.


The EDW team presented me with a gift certificate to Shapiro’s Luggage, of which Molly and I made quick use. We purchased a large suitcase of very high quality, and promptly tested it to see how much we could pack into it. The regulations for baggage limit the size and weight of each piece of luggage to a total sum of 62 linear inches (height + width + depth), and 50 pounds. The size was fine, but our concern was the weight. So we went home, and packed all the clothes we will need into it – three suits, a dozen white shirts, all Molly’s outfits, socks - basically everything but shoes and toiletries, and weighed it. Only 44 pounds, so we think we’re good. We are very appreciative of this gift from the team. It will be well used, and much appreciated over the coming years.

A number of folks also showed up from other teams and locations. It was good to visit with each of them (you!). Some of the folks with whom I was fortunate to work previously who now work for Health Catalyst also gave us an Amazon gift certificate, which we used to buy a very nice Ogio bag for my laptop, iPad, books, papers, and etc. It will make traveling and staying in touch much nicer than my old, very familiar to anyone who knows me, backpack. Thanks again to all of you dear friends and acquaintances.


On Friday, May 8th, I made my final check of my desk, and said good-bye to those who were there. It was a bit difficult to choke back the tears, so I was glad there wasn’t a large contingent. I’ve bravely tried to intimate that it wouldn’t be a big deal, but it can’t help but be for me, a bit. It’s been fun, rewarding, fulfilling, and educational. Good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment