Tuesday, October 6, 2015

General Conference

On Friday night one of my assignments in the Temple was Silla Uno "Chair One". The chair is situated behind the Mesa "Front Desk" and the assignment there is welcoming and directing people as they come in and hugging and kissing them as they leave (my favorite part).

When Bolivians greet you whether they know you or are meeting you for the first time, they don't just say "Hola" or "Buenos Días" or "Mucho Gusto" etc. They say several salutations quickly one right after another. So I thought I would say as they left "Buenas Noches, Vuelva Pronto,  Disfrute Conferencia General." while shaking their hand, kissing them on the cheek, hugging etc. When I would mention to them to enjoy General Conference I would often get a very animated response. Sometimes they even followed with a testimony. Such faithful people. One young sister kept hugging me and telling me how happy she was to be able to listen to the Prophet and Apostles.

It's amazing to me that even though we are here in Bolivia, supposedly the poorest country in South America, we were able (thanks to satellite TV available at the Temple President's home) to watch General Conference "live" in English in a comfortable home environment. It was sweet to share that experience with the other Temple Missionaries. There were 14 of us in all.

It was special for me to watch conference as a missionary. I have always looked forward to and really enjoy General Conference, to hear the inspired words of counsel from our leaders. But it felt different being a missionary. So many tender feelings, gratitude mostly, to represent The Lord Jesus Christ and His Church in a foreign land. When they talk about missionaries, I am one of them.

I am honored and humbled to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints and to wear a plaque with that title under my name. I am so grateful to serve the sweet people of Bolivia in the Lord's Holy House. It was also very tender to me to see Utah in the Fall as they show the grounds and the people coming and going to Conference. I felt a closeness to my family knowing that they would be watching Conference as well.

The tradition here is that between Conference Sessions the Temple Missionaries all get together and have a meal. More like a feast, with lots of good food. Extra tables are brought up from the comedor, the cafeteria here at the hospedaje. Two are put in one of the apartments for all of us to eat at, while another holds the food in a different apartment. We have come to love these missionaries that we serve with. Such good faithful people. All of them, except me, have served more than one mission.

The rest of the evening was spent Skyping our sweet family. A wonderful ending to another great week in Cochabamba.

No comments:

Post a Comment